We're pleased to introduce our new Bupa Direct Access for You (DAY) programme, which provides direct access to day case centres around Hong Kong. Under this new programme, the first offering is our EndoscopyDAY centres providing common types of endoscopy such as colonoscopy and gastroscopy. These procedures help identify problems in your stomach or bowel when you're unwell. Plus, you can return home on the same day.
Day case procedures like endoscopies are very common in most Western and Asian countries. In England, 91% of endoscopy services are located outside of hospitals (see Note 1). Based on claims data from the United States, colonoscopies performed on a day case basis are just as safe as those performed in hospital (see Note 2).
In Hong Kong, day case centres must comply with a list of specific government standards to perform endoscopies. These guidelines are designed to ensure patient safety (see Note 3).
At the modern, well-equipped day case centres in our EndoscopyDAY programme, eligible Bupa customers (see Note 4) have direct access to cashless treatment for endoscopy procedures. Plus, you can receive a special loyalty reward.
- Achieving top industry standards
- In compliance with Bupa's clinic quality assurance and accreditation checklist
- Staffed by a team of experienced specialists and dedicated health professionals
- No unnecessary hospital stay
- Easy to access locations across Hong Kong
- No extra hassle as your specialist will help you get approval
- Modern and well-equipped endoscopy rooms
- Superior, hospital-grade amenities
- Personalised care in a quiet, peaceful environment
Before scheduling your visit, check if your insurance plan includes hospital and surgical benefit and your medical card is valid for cashless treatment. In general, Bupa medical cards (see Note 4, 7) with the following services listed on the front can be used at our EndoscopyDAY centres.
More details are available on myBupa.
- Valid Bupa medical card
- Hong Kong ID card
- Valid referral letter from your doctor
- Am I eligible to receive the loyalty reward for endoscopy procedures?
To receive the loyalty reward, you need to meet all the criteria listed below:
- Your Bupa medical insurance plan includes hospital and surgical benefit and offers coverage for network specialist visits and day case procedures at Bupa network day case centres. Please refer to your contract/policy and schedule of benefits for details;
- You get a referral letter from your doctor;
- Your endoscopy must be performed by a Bupa network specialist at a Bupa EndoscopyDAY centre;
- Your endoscopy is medically necessary;
- You use your medical card for cashless treatment at the EndoscopyDAY centre; and
- You haven’t received any loyalty reward in the same calendar year.
- When will I receive the loyalty reward after my endoscopy procedure? You should receive your loyalty reward redemption email around 4 months afterwards. Bupa will send your loyalty reward redemption email to the email address in our records. If we don't have your email address, we'll post a redemption letter to your postal address. Members should present the email/letter at the designated redemption centre(s) to claim their loyalty reward (supermarket coupon).
How many times can I receive the loyalty reward?
You can receive the loyalty reward once per calendar year. However, if you're an individual member, you're not eligible for the loyalty reward during your first policy year.
I'm covered by Bupa individual and group medical insurance schemes. Which plan should I use to receive the loyalty reward?
You can choose either plan for endoscopy at our Bupa EndoscopyDAY centres. However, you can only receive one loyalty reward in total each calendar year.
- Source: Shenbajaraj L, Thomas-Gibson S, Stebbing J, et al. Endoscopy in 2017: a national survey of practice in the UK. Frontline Gastroenterology. 2018.
- Source: Voelker R. Ambulatory Centers Match Hospital Safety for Outpatient Colonoscopy, Study Says. JAMA. 2011;305:2508-2509.
- Source: Department of Health, Hong Kong Academy of Medicine. Procedure-Specific Standards for Day Procedure Centres: Endoscopy. May 2018.
- Only Bupa members with the Bupa HealthCare Card (for clinic procedure only), Bupa HealthNet Card (Hospital & Clinical, Clinical), Bupa HealthPlus Card (Hospital & Clinical, Hospital) and Bupa Gold Card (Hospital & Clinical, Hospital) are eligible for cashless treatment at Bupa EndoscopyDAY centres. However, some medical cards are only accepted at selected centres. Please refer to the EndoscopyDAY centre list on myBupa for details.
- The name and contact information of each Bupa EndoscopyDAY centre, including address and telephone number, are available in the centre list on myBupa. The list is subject to change from time to time.
- Bupa members can ask any Bupa network specialist to refer them for endoscopy procedures performed at the three Bupa EndoscopyDAY centres in Central, Wong Chuk Hang and Tsuen Wan without on-site specialists. Please refer to the centre list on myBupa for details.
- Members with the Bupa Gold Card are eligible to receive the loyalty reward effective from 1 October 2019. Members with the Bupa HealthCare Card, Bupa HealthNet Card and Bupa HealthPlus Card are eligible to receive the loyalty reward from 10 July 2019.
- Each member of a Bupa health insurance scheme can only receive a loyalty reward of HK$500/HK$100 (individual/group schemes) once per calendar year. This offer is only applicable to medically necessary endoscopy procedures performed at Bupa EndoscopyDAY centres upon the recommendation of a specialist. Bupa reserves the right to make changes to the reward offer or to amend terms and conditions related to the reward offer at any time without prior notice.
- The loyalty reward will only be offered for endoscopy procedures that are performed by a Bupa network specialist listed on myBupa at Bupa EndoscopyDAY centres.
- Members of individual schemes aren’t eligible to receive the loyalty reward during their first policy year.
- Each member is required to present a valid Bupa medical card, Hong Kong Identity Card and referral letter from a registered general practitioner or specialist upon registration at the EndoscopyDAY centre.
- Eligible members must present a valid Bupa medical card for cashless treatment at EndoscopyDAY centres. If the medical expenses exceed the member’s coverage or aren’t covered by the insurance plan (e.g. excluded conditions), a shortfall notice will be sent to the member for settlement.
- Medical services offered by the EndoscopyDAY centres listed are subject to the medical insurance coverage and/or benefit limits of each member. Before receiving any service, members should check their benefit entitlement in their membership certificate and/or schedule of benefits. Please contact our Customer Care helpdesk for more information.
- Please log in to our customer portal myBupa for the updated lists of EndoscopyDAY centres and network specialists. These lists are subject to change from time to time.
The above summary of our insurance products is for reference only. It is not, and does not form part of, a contract of insurance and is designed to provide an overview of the key features of these products.
Talk to us
Contact our health management consultant to get details and advice.
Mon-Fri 9am-9pm (except public holidays)