Caring for you in the Bupa WAY
Bupa WAY programme - Musculoskeletal pain treatment
Have you ever sprained your ankle or experienced lower back pain? These are some of the most common musculoskeletal pain problems that affect the muscles, ligaments and tendons, and bones.
In Hong Kong, musculoskeletal problems rank third (13.5%) among the diseases most commonly requiring long-term follow-up (see Note 1). Although you might think musculoskeletal issues usually affect the elderly, a survey found that over 40% of respondents in their 30s had experienced musculoskeletal problems (see Note 2).
To provide eligible Bupa members with end-to-end care and support, we’re pleased to introduce the Bupa Walking Along with You (WAY) programme – Musculoskeletal pain treatment. Organised by Bupa with our selected provider Quality HealthCare Medical Services (QHMS), the programme is here for you at all stages along your healthcare journey.
Dedicated hotline: (852) 2517 5743 (see Note 4)
End-to-end care, from consultation through treatment and follow-up
In this programme, you can use your Bupa medical card (if applicable) for most services at network providers (see Note 3). You can also choose to pay for your treatments and submit a claim to us afterwards.
For your first consultation, you can choose to visit our WAY clinics in Wan Chai and Causeway Bay. For follow-up, you can visit other clinics in locations including Wan Chai, Admiralty and Quarry Bay (depending on your treatment). The clinic list may change from time to time. To view the latest list, please visit myBupa.
After your initial consultation, we’ll guide you through different treatment options to improve your condition and manage your pain. Your designated Care Manager, a registered nurse, will provide regular guidance over the phone. If surgery is required, we can also refer you to a specialist and help with pre- and post-operative care, claims and more. Just call the free dedicated WAY programme hotline at (852) 2517 5743 (see Note 4) to get started.
- What clinics can I visit as part of the Bupa WAY programme – Musculoskeletal pain treatment?
For your first consultation, you can choose to visit our WAY clinics in Wan Chai and Causeway Bay. For follow-up, you can visit other clinics in locations including Wan Chai, Admiralty and Quarry Bay (depending on your treatment). No other clinics are currently included in the programme. The clinic list may change from time to time. To view the latest list, please visit myBupa.
- What if the recommended treatment isn’t covered under my Bupa health insurance scheme?
You can still receive the treatment and pay your medical expenses out of your own pocket.
- Can I choose my own provider when I’m referred for treatment, such as Chinese medicine treatment, physiotherapy, surgery and so on?
As part of our end-to-end care, we will arrange treatments and specialist consultations for you at a WAY clinic. You can also choose your own provider outside the programme network. However, by doing so you’ll exit the WAY programme and will no longer have a designated Care Manager. If you do decide to leave the WAY programme, you also have the option to re-join later on.
- How will my designated Care Manager help me?
If you need any advice, you can contact your designated Care Manager at any time during office hours. Your Care Manager will also follow up about your condition and your treatment progress regularly with your consent.
- Department of Health - Promoting HEALTH in Hong Kong: A Strategic Framework for Prevention and Control of Non-communicable Diseases: https://www.change4health.gov.hk/filemanager/common/image/
- The Centre for Communication and Public Opinion Survey of the Chinese University of Hong Kong: https://topick.hket.com/article/2676961/ (Chinese version)
- Cashless treatment is not applicable to physiotherapy under the Bupa WAY programme – Musculoskeletal pain treatment. You’ll need to pay the expenses yourself and submit a claim to Bupa afterwards (if applicable).
- The WAY programme hotline is operated by Bupa. Hotline service hours are as follows: Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm. The hotline is not available on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays.
- To participate in the Bupa WAY programme – Musculoskeletal pain treatment, you’ll need to provide your consent for Bupa and QHMS to record and share information about your demographics and treatment outcomes.
- Eligible members may use a valid Bupa medical card for cashless treatment in the Bupa WAY programme. For those without a Bupa medical card, or if the medical expenses exceed the member’s coverage under or aren’t covered by the member’s Bupa insurance plan (e.g. excluded conditions), members will need to settle their expenses directly with the provider. For any ineligible expenses settled by a Bupa medical card, a shortfall notice will be sent to the member for settlement.
- Medical services offered by the Bupa WAY programme are subject to the medical insurance coverage and/or benefit limits of each member’s Bupa insurance plan. Before receiving any service, members should check their benefit entitlement in the membership certificate and/or schedule of benefits of their Bupa plan. Please contact our Customer Care helpdesk for more information.
The above summary of our insurance products is for reference only. It is not, and does not form part of, a contract of insurance and is designed to provide an overview of the key features of these products.
Talk to us
Contact our health management consultant to get details and advice.
Mon-Fri 9am-9pm (except public holidays)