Video consultation services
Video consultation services for eligible members
We understand sometimes you may not have time or may feel concerned to visit a physical medical clinic when you are sick. That's why we offer network video consultation services (see Note 1) with doctors from our selected network provider Quality HealthCare Medical Services (QHMS) to support you.
If you're a Bupa or Hang Seng Bupa member with network Clinical Benefit and an eligible medical card, you can use this service. You can choose a QHMS general practitioner or Chinese medicine practitioner within your network and make an appointment directly using the QHMS app (see Note 2). Then you can consult the doctor about common conditions through a video call comfortably and safely at home, with medication delivered to you on the same day for free (see FAQ 6).
In addition, starting from 1 October 2022, we'll extend non-network Clinical Benefit to include video consultations conducted by general practitioners, specialists and Chinese medicine practitioners from other video consultation service providers, subject to your plan's coverage.
Download the QHMS app now:
How will my video consultation be covered?
Under network benefit:
Under non-network benefit:
If you have any questions, please call the customer service hotline of our service provider at (852) 8301 8301.
Before using the network video consultation services, check if your insurance plan includes general practitioner or Chinese herbalist benefits and your medical card is eligible for network coverage. You should also check the doctors list within your plan's clinical network and choose a doctor from the list when making an appointment in the app (see Note 3). In general, Bupa and Hang Seng Bupa members with medical cards with the following services listed on the front have coverage for video consultation services.*Your medical card should have "CH" printed under "Optional benefit" to be eligible for Chinese medicine video consultations.
- Will video consultations offered by network providers other than QHMS be covered?
Video consultations offered by network providers other than QHMS will only be covered under non-network Clinical Benefit. You cannot use your medical card to pay for these services. Instead, you'll need to settle the relevant expenses yourself and file a claim afterwards.
- How many days of basic medication will be covered? Will extra medication be covered too?
In general, the video consultation will cover up to 5 days of basic western medication / up to 2 doses of basic Chinese medicine, subject to your plan's coverage. Extra medication prescribed by the general practitioner will be covered if your coverage includes Western Medication Benefit under the network Clinical Benefit.
- Is video consultation secure?
Yes. The doctors will meet with you using an individual appointment link. Once the consultation has begun, the doctor will "lock" the appointment so no third party can join.
- Is video consultation suitable for all medical conditions?
No, video consultation is suitable for common conditions only but not medical emergencies. You are advised to seek immediate medical attention at a hospital A&E department or clinic for emergency conditions.
- Are there any age restrictions for video consultation?
Video consultation is available to members of all ages. Children below age 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Are there any limitations on delivery services?
- You must be physically in Hong Kong for video consultation and medication delivery.
- In general, medication will be delivered on the same day for consultation before 6pm (Monday to Friday) or 1pm (Saturday). In some situations, including due to courier unavailability or pandemic restrictions, deliveries will be made on the next working day.
- Deliveries are only available for patients living in Hong Kong Island, Kowloon, the New Territories and some areas in outlying islands (Tung Chung, Discovery Bay and Ma Wan). You will need to go to the appointed clinic to pick up your medication if you live in other parts of the outlying islands.
- Will I be contacted before delivery?
The clinic staff will contact you to confirm the delivery time and address after the video consultation. If the medication cannot be delivered, it will be returned to the appointed clinic for you to pick up.
- Can I choose my preferred clinic and doctor?
Yes, you can. When you make an appointment in the app, you can choose a general practitioner or Chinese medicine practitioner within your clinical network from your preferred clinic. To make sure your consultation is covered, you should also check the doctors list within your plan's clinical network and choose a doctor from the list. As you may need to attend the clinic in person for an examination or assessment in certain circumstances, we recommend you choose a doctor or a clinic that's convenient for you.
- What are the doctors' consultation hours?
The consultation hours vary across clinics. Please check the video consultation timeslots available on the QHMS app.
- If I need a follow-up consultation within 24 hours after the video consultation, will this be charged or deducted from the remaining balance of my Clinical Benefit?
In case your doctor advises you to visit the appointed clinic for an examination or assessment, it will be free of charge within 24 hours after the video consultation (or on the next working day for video consultation on Saturday). We won't deduct it from the remaining balance of your network Clinical Benefit.
- Where can I find more information about the clinics in case I need a follow-up consultation?
You can check the QHMS app for details.
- Terms and conditions set by QHMS and Bupa apply to the network video consultation services. Please refer to the below and the QHMS app for details.
- Bupa is not the developer, controller or operator of the QHMS app. The use of the QHMS app is subject to the terms and conditions set out by QHMS (which may be amended from time to time).
- You should choose a general practitioner or Chinese medicine practitioner within your clinical network according to your plan's coverage. Only video consultations that are provided by the selected network general practitioners and Chinese medicine practitioners are eligible to be covered. Please log in to Bupa's customer service portal to view the doctors list within your clinical network.
The above summary of our insurance products is for reference only. It is not, and does not form part of, a contract of insurance and is designed to provide an overview of the key features of these products.
Talk to us
Contact our health management consultant to get details and advice.
Mon-Fri 9am-9pm (except public holidays)