Video Consultation Services
Video Consultation Services for Eligible Members
We understand sometimes you may not have time or may feel concerned to visit a physical medical clinic when you are sick. That’s why we offer video consultation services (see Note 1) with doctors from our selected network provider Quality HealthCare Medical Services (QHMS) to support you at all times.
If you're a Bupa or Hang Seng Bupa member with network Clinical Benefit and an eligible medical card, you can use this service. You can choose from a panel of QHMS doctors within your network and make an appointment directly using the QHMS app (See Note 2). Then you can consult our selected network general practitioners about common conditions through a video call comfortably and safely at home, with door-to-door medication delivery (see Note 3).
We'll also waive the medication delivery charge through 31 December 2021 (see Note 4).
How will my video consultation be covered?
Before using the service, check if your insurance plan includes clinical or hospital and clinical benefits and your medical card is eligible for network coverage. You should also check the doctors list within your plan's clinical network and choose a doctor from the list when making an appointment in the app (see Note 5). In general, Bupa and Hang Seng Bupa members with medical cards with the following services listed on the front can use the video consultation services.
- Will video consultation be covered under my non-network Clinical Benefit?
No, you can't pay for video consultation yourself and file a claim afterwards. It will only be covered under network Clinical Benefit and you must use your medical card to pay for this service.
- How many days of basic medication will be covered? Will extra medication be covered too?
In general, the video consultation will cover up to 5 days of basic western medication, subject to your plan's coverage. Extra medication will be covered if your coverage includes Western Medication Benefit under the network Clinical Benefit.
- Is video consultation secure?
Yes. The doctors will meet with you using an individual appointment link. Once the consultation has begun, the doctor will "lock" the appointment so no third party can join.
- Is video consultation suitable for all medical conditions?
No, video consultation is suitable for common conditions only but not medical emergencies or pandemic diseases. You are advised to seek immediate medical attention at a hospital A&E department or clinic for emergency conditions. If you think you may have COVID-19, you should visit a designated testing centre as soon as possible.
- Are there any age restrictions for video consultation?
Yes, children below age 13 aren't eligible for this service, even if they're accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Are there any limitations on delivery services?
- You must be physically in Hong Kong for video consultation and medication delivery.
- In general, medication will be delivered on the same day for consultation before 3pm (Monday to Friday). Deliveries will be made on the next working day for consultation after 3pm and for some locations (including Sai Kung, Kwai Chung Container Terminal, Hong Kong University, etc.).
- For consultations on Saturday, medication will be delivered on Monday.
- Deliveries are only available for patients living in Hong Kong Island, Kowloon, the New Territories and some areas in outlying islands (Tung Chung, Discovery Bay and Ma Wan). You will need to go to the appointed clinic to pick up your medication if you live in other parts of the outlying islands.
- Will I be contacted before delivery?
The clinic staff will contact you to confirm the delivery time and address after the video consultation. If the medication cannot be delivered, it will be returned to the appointed clinic for you to pick up. The delivery charge will not be refunded.
- Can I choose my preferred clinic and doctor?
Yes, you can. When you make an appointment in the app, you can choose a doctor within your clinical network from your preferred clinic. To make sure your consultation is covered, you should also check the doctors list within your plan's clinical network and choose a doctor from the list. As you may need to attend the clinic in person for proper examination or assessment in certain circumstances, we recommend you choose a doctor or a clinic that's convenient for you.
- What are the doctors' consultation hours?
The consultation hours of the doctors are from Monday to Friday (9am – 5:30pm) and Saturday (9am – 12 noon).
- If I need a follow-up consultation within 24 hours after the video consultation, will this be charged or deducted from the remaining balance of my Clinical Benefit?
Your doctor may advise you to visit the appointed clinic for a proper examination or assessment, which will be free of charge within 24 hours after the video consultation (or on the coming Monday for video consultation on Saturday). We won't deduct it from the remaining balance of your network Clinical Benefit.
- Where can I find more information about the clinics in case I need a follow-up consultation?
You can check the QHMS app for details.
- Terms and conditions set by the provider and Bupa apply to the video consultation services. Please refer to the below for details.
- Bupa is not the developer, controller or operator of the QHMS app. The use of the QHMS app is subject to the terms and conditions set out by the provider (which may be amended from time to time).
- The delivery of medication, sick leave certificate and referral letter (if applicable) is subject to payment of a HK$80 basic delivery charge. For deliveries to certain locations (including Tung Chung, Repulse Bay, Sai Kung, Kwai Chung Container Terminal, etc.), an additional delivery charge of HK$120 will apply. You'll be informed of the delivery charge before your video consultation.
- The delivery charges of HK$80 and HK$120 are waived through 31 December 2021.
- You should choose a doctor within your clinical network according to your plan's coverage. Only video consultations that are provided by the selected network general practitioners are eligible to be covered. Please log in to Bupa's customer service portal to view the doctors list within your clinical network.
The above summary of our insurance products is for reference only. It is not, and does not form part of, a contract of insurance and is designed to provide an overview of the key features of these products.
Talk to us
Contact our health management consultant to get details and advice.
Mon-Fri 9am-9pm (except public holidays)