Cold and flu
- Chronic chest problems such as chronic bronchitis and emphysema
- Heart disease
- Kidney diseases and kidney failure
- People with reduced immunity, such as people with HIV or people who have had their spleen removed
- Severe vomiting or diarrhea
- Difficulty breathing
- Skin rash
- Uncontrollable cough
- Cough with green sputum - phlegm
- Extreme lethargy or drowsiness
- Drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration
- Avoid tobacco smoke
- Decongestants such as pseudo-ephedrine may clear congestion. Ask your pharmacist for advice on products that contain a decongestant
- Steam inhalations with menthol or eucalyptus, or herbal products such as camomile, may help. Take care with the hot water
- Eating a balanced diet with plenty of fruit and vegetables is sensible
- Rest. Avoid strenuous exercise, as this can increase the chance of catching a secondary bacterial infection. Contrary to the advertising claims for some cold and flu medicines, if you are unwell with a heavy cold and, especially, flu, carrying on as normal is not advisable
- Isolation of people with colds and flu to prevent it spreading to other people, if practical
- Regular hand washing and immediate disposal of tissues
- Aim for a healthy lifestyle a balanced diet, rich in fruit and vegetables, and regular (preferably daily) physical activity
- Do not smoke - smokers are more likely to catch a cold
This information was published by Bupa Group's Health Content Team and has been reviewed by appropriate medical or clinical professionals. To the best of their knowledge the information is current and based on reputable sources of medical evidence, however Bupa (Asia) Limited makes no representation or warranty as to the completeness or accuracy of the Content.
The information on this page, and any information on third party websites referred to on this page, is provided as a guide only. It should not be relied upon as a substitute for professional medical advice, nor is it intended to be used for medical diagnosis or treatment. Bupa (Asia) Limited is not liable for any loss or damage you suffer arising out of the use of, or reliance on, the information.
Third party websites are not owned or controlled by Bupa and any individual may be able to access and post messages on them. Bupa is not responsible for the content or availability of these third party websites. Last updated August 2017.
Talk to us
Contact our health management consultant to get details and advice.
Mon-Fri 9am-9pm (except public holidays)