- hunger and thirst
- visual disturbances – such as seeing flashing lights or zig-zag lines
- certain foods – such as chocolate, cheese, red wine, citrus
- fruits, coffee, tea, tomatoes, potatoes
- too much or too little sleep
- changes in hormone balance in women – such as periods, the pill, menopause
- stress or even relaxation
- irregular meals
- caffeine withdrawal
- physical activity
- flashing lights
- weather – high pressure conditions, changes in pressure, hot dry winds, seasonal changes, exposure to sun and glare
- exercise – too much or too little
- sexual arousal
- smells – paint, fumes from car heaters or perfume
- aura symptoms that are always on the same side of the body, or last less than five minutes or more than an hour
- aura symptoms without a headache
- a sudden change in the character of your migraine – attacks coming more often, for instance, or treatment not helping
- headache after you exercise
- your first ever attack when you're over 50
- stomach pains
- nervous system problems – difficulty in walking, or disturbance of vision between attacks
- a high temperature
- a-blockers, such as propranolol
- tricyclic antidepressants, such as amitriptyline
This information was published by Bupa Group's Health Content Team and has been reviewed by appropriate medical or clinical professionals. To the best of their knowledge the information is current and based on reputable sources of medical evidence, however Bupa (Asia) Limited makes no representation or warranty as to the completeness or accuracy of the Content.
The information on this page, and any information on third party websites referred to on this page, is provided as a guide only. It should not be relied upon as a substitute for professional medical advice, nor is it intended to be used for medical diagnosis or treatment. Bupa (Asia) Limited is not liable for any loss or damage you suffer arising out of the use of, or reliance on, the information.
Third party websites are not owned or controlled by Bupa and any individual may be able to access and post messages on them. Bupa is not responsible for the content or availability of these third party websites. Last updated August 2017.
Talk to us
Contact our health management consultant to get details and advice.
Mon-Fri 9am-9pm (except public holidays)